11.26.2008

Pilgrims and Indians?

Yesterday, this story was all over the news.

I started wrestling with it, and it was interesting to me that people are SO grounded in tradition that they are willing to perpetuate a false history that we've created. Now, don't get me wrong, I think kids dressed up is just about the cutest thing there is, but is it really healthy to keep something going that we know is inaccurate? Is dressing our children up as pilgrims and indians really that important? Apparently to the parents at Condit Elementary school, it is.

I would love to see a day where Thanksgiving would be a day set aside to simply be thankful. Forget the Pilgrims and Indians and all of the things that did or did not happen. Just gather together with family and be thankful for the blessings in our life and the God who bestowed them on us.

No comments: